Have you tried searching for new places where its safe to go this pandemic? Was it really safe to fulfill all those travel plans and goals you are rooting for this year? Are you that extrovert type that can’t keep up staying indoors all the time? So, where could one travel this pandemic? || WHERE TO TRAVEL THIS PANDEMIC? : OWN A PRIVATE ISLAND FOR A DAY
Traveling has always been a part of me ever since I fell in love with it years ago, and at least once every month I normally set aside a budget and time for my travel goals and plans (Pre-pandemic time *haha!) so staying at home for the past 7 – 8 months is definitely a big thing for me. Thankfully, my friend / also a travel buddy “Maze” thought of the idea of why not rent a private island instead? This seems like a million dollar dream, imagine having a private island for a day and feel isolated with nature? It was really a breather for the weekends.
WHERE TO BOOK :
Almost three hours travel time away from Manila, this hidden gem from Cavinti, Laguna was a site to see and a place to travel to. We were able to booked this via airbnb thru :
If it’s your first time to book via airbnb, use my link and earn up to P3,100 discount on your first booking! Click : https://abnb.me/e/pQQKxp4CQab
- An overnight stay in the island depends on which day (weekdays or weekends) and how many are you travelling.
- As for our end, we were 4 pax on a weekends and it cost Php 7,700 for an overnight trip with all costs and rates from Airbnb. For a private island, this is already a good buy
KEY INFORMATION ABOUT THE ISLAND
TRANSPORTATION (GOING TO CAVINTI ISLAND)
- Since commuting may be an impossible choice for now, I was surprised how carpooling could be another source of transportation going from one place to another – it was cheaper than renting for a car of your own (if you don’t own a car)
- The carpool we got dropped us directly to the docking area in Cavinti and waited for our contact person that would take us to the island.
- Travel time from Manila is around 3 hours and from the docking area, it would only take 5 – 10 minutes short boat ride going to the island.
- Note that the boat ride is already part of the airbnb package booking, good for 2 times (going to the island and back) should you wish for an extra trip back, you’d have to shoulder additional cost for it
- Once in the island, the entire place is basically just the cabin the lake, make sure you bring all necessary items and materials especially food good for your stay.
- Please also note, that the island doesn’t have an electricity, a generator is being open from 6PM – 12 Midnight, beyond that time, you would have to request in advance should you wish to use the generator for more time — you get charged per hour on the additional
- Make sure to charge all your mobile phones during this open time, this is also the best time to cook and have your dinner.
- There is no refrigerator in the cabin, so we made sure to bring a handful of ICE CUBES before going to the island (series of sari-sari store are available in the docking area, so make sure to buy your other essentials)
- There is no AC as well (given that it is only run by generator) there is an available re-chargeable electric fan — but make sure to charge it during the open time.
- In terms of cooking essentials, it was pretty much a happy haven in the kitchen!!! The place is definitely ready with big guests and the plates and all can definitely accommodate it. You can also cook endlessly, just make sure you have all the ingredients needed
- There is no Wi-Fi in the island, as it is really a place to re-connect with nature and enjoy the serenity of the place.
WHAT ACTIVITIES TO DO WHILE IN THE ISLAND?
The series of activities you can do in the island basically depends on what type of traveller you are.
- Picnic – What I loved about the place is the fact that it is really spacious, there were mats and small chairs and tables around that you can use. There is even a hammock in the island where you can chill.
- Kayaking – Is an activity you can do in the island, you just need to pay an additional P200 for it.
- Play Board Games – there were some board games that you and your friends can do while in the island.
- Chill!!! and Do nothing!!! – this is one of my favorite as well, as the island was really calm and quiet the entire time. Buy a booze or have a couple of drinks and that’s more than enough.
- Bonfire & S’mores – the island have a specified area for bonfire, and you can just ask the caretaker to help you with. Make sure you bring all your marshmallows, graham, chocolates and sticks!
- Stargazing – a night chills is perfectly done gazing thru the stars with the mattress available also in the island.
- Swimming – we didn’t personally swam in the lake during our stay since the water was murky after the heavy rainfall, though it is said that a portion is possible for swimming, just clarify and ask the caretaker for it as well.
As a whole, our overnight stay in the private island was such a breather from the pandemic lockdown-era. It was such a breeze to chill and chat with your friends, enjoy petty and simple joys and probably being able to maskless for while.
It wasn’t a perfect island, but at the end of the day it depends on how you are going to make the most out of your stay.
If you have further questions please feel free to follow me on Instagram @nathaliecsalcedo and send me a DM! I’ll be happy to help. Actual videos also posted over my IG highlights for reference.
If enjoy reading my page you may like and follow me on the following sites below :